Welcome to Glasgow Education Services Centre for Outdoor Education
The secondary programme at Blairvadach is primarily focused on S3 and S4 year groups where pupils are starting to make choices as to the direction they might want to go after leaving school. Courses are of a more specialist nature than the multi activity courses offered to primary groups. Being more physically and emotionally mature, pupils are able to take on the challenge and excitement integral to these adventurous and active programmes. The day time activities are supported by an evening programme which encourages children to investigate further the discipline they have chosen to follow.
Courses are designed meet many of the stage 3 and 4 Health and Wellbeing outcomes outlined in Curriculum for Excellence.
Courses are generally run over five days, three full days and a half day on Monday and Friday.
Because of the specialist nature of the courses and to permit access to varied types of challenging conditions and terrain, the group ratio is maintained at 1:6 with the same instructor staying with the group all week. If ratios allow, visiting school staff are welcome to join the pupils on the activities.
There are five main styles of course at present;
- A single activity pursued all week providing the opportunity to reach a good personal standard and possibly leading to a nationally accredited personal performance award.
- A week pursuing two activities for those who do not feel ready to make the commitment to following one activity while still wishing to progress their skill level.
- A multi activity course, but this would only be able to meet level 2 outcomes.
- Five days training for a team entered in The Glasgow Schools’ Adventure Race.
- Field Studies. Specialist school staff running their own programme of work supported in the field by a Blairvadach instructor. Schools taking up this option have run courses in art, biology and geography.
Information for teachers on bookings and programs is available on our Teacher Downloads page.